What is remedial massage?
Remedial massage may be compared to the repair of a mechanical breakdown of your car to restore optimal performance. It’s the assessment and treatment of the muscles, tendons, ligaments and connective tissues of the body to assist in rehabilitation, pain and injury management. Remedial massage holistically treats the whole body and traces the discomfort as far as possible back to the original cause, healing both the cause of the disorder as well as the symptoms.
Remedial Massage is effective in treating a wide range of conditions and ailments, such as, but not limited to:
- Neck and back pain
- Tension headaches
- Jaw pain
- Frozen shoulder
- Tennis elbow
- Muscular spasms
- Muscle cramps
- DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)
Is remedial massage for me?
If you have an injury, particular muscle tension or chronic pain a remedial massage may be for you.
What should I expect?
Your therapist will assess where you need treatment and what may be causing your pain. Once the assessment has been completed, your therapist will have a better understanding of the cause of your condition and a tailored treatment plan will be determined.
How does it work?
As well as assisting in the treatment of the above conditions, remedial massage has a positive impact on various systems of your body. These include:
- Circulatory and lymphatic systems – encourages blood flow to the tissue being treated. As the lymphatic system works in close proximity to the circulatory system, the massage will promote reduced pain and swelling by improving lymphatic flow.
- Muscular – by stretching tight muscles, relaxing and releasing overused muscles, reducing spasms and muscular cramping, as well as assisting in tissue regeneration.
- Joints – by working on the muscles around a joint, remedial massage can increase joint range of motion and assist in increasing joint strength and stabilisation.
- Endocrine/hormonal system – can promote a decrease in cortisol, which is produced when we experience pain and stress. Remedial massage also promotes an increased level of serotonin and dopamine, which improves your mood, relaxation and assists in relieving pain. This can also have a follow-on effect by reducing anxiety while enhancing sleep, concentration and energy levels.
If you would like more information on our massage therapies such as remedial & sports massage, please don’t hesitate to contact us on 0415 815 688.